Error : Cannot find the web service ??

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2009 at 8:45 PM
Well, it sounds like there is an issue with a firewall, maybe not in your computer, but even in the router your using.  Could be an issue with your ISP?!...

I'll find a link for you to try, and if you get to it, it will tell you its something else.  I'll find that later today and post it here.
Jan 19, 2009 at 9:10 PM
Edited Jan 19, 2009 at 9:16 PM
Wow thanks a lot, I am pretty impressed by your quick answer.
As for firewall, there is no issue on my side.
As for the ISP side restrictions, I have tried the myTV software and it succeeded in getting all data from thetvdb.com without problems.
Ok, I know nothing about how they access thetvdb, but I just wanted to let you know in case it helps you narrowing the perimeter or the problem.

Thanks again

PierreLo
Coordinator
Jan 20, 2009 at 3:11 AM
Sorry for the late response...

Try this URL:
http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=4400

If that doesn't work, then there is a problem getting to the service.
If it does work, then I would try the program perhaps on another computer, and see if thats the issue?

Hope this helps some...

Please respond as soon as you get something,  The results should look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- <Data>
- <Series>
  <seriesid>73507</seriesid>
  <language>en</language>
  <SeriesName>The 4400</SeriesName>
  <banner>graphical/73507-g.jpg</banner>
  <Overview>The 4400 tells the stories of 4,400 abductees after they are returned to earth. In the words of the executive producers, these are stories of people dealing with traumatic changes, driven by the mystery of what happened and why. Some of them have been affected in mysterious ways, and some will have certain abilities, both good and bad, so part of the drama will be watching them adjust to these changes within themselves. The series kicks off with a ball of light sailing toward Earth, but rather than the expected catastrophic event, thousands of returned abductees are left with no memory of their otherworldly experiences. Each has been gone anywhere from a few months to several decades but none has aged a day.</Overview>
  <FirstAired>2004-07-11</FirstAired>
  <IMDB_ID>tt0389564</IMDB_ID>
  <zap2it_id>SH665214</zap2it_id>
  <id>73507</id>
  </Series>
  </Data>
Jan 20, 2009 at 6:27 AM
Thanks a lot.
I am at work right now so I will try this tonight when I'm home.
I will keep you updated then.
Thanks again for your help
PierreLo

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 5:12 AM, billsecond <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Sorry for the late response...

Try this URL:
http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=4400

If that doesn't work, then there is a problem getting to the service.
If it does work, then I would try the program perhaps on another computer, and see if thats the issue?

Hope this helps some...

Please respond as soon as you get something, The results should look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- <Data>
- <Series>
<seriesid>73507</seriesid>
<language>en</language>
<SeriesName>The 4400</SeriesName>
<banner>graphical/73507-g.jpg</banner>
<Overview>The 4400 tells the stories of 4,400 abductees after they are returned to earth. In the words of the executive producers, these are stories of people dealing with traumatic changes, driven by the mystery of what happened and why. Some of them have been affected in mysterious ways, and some will have certain abilities, both good and bad, so part of the drama will be watching them adjust to these changes within themselves. The series kicks off with a ball of light sailing toward Earth, but rather than the expected catastrophic event, thousands of returned abductees are left with no memory of their otherworldly experiences. Each has been gone anywhere from a few months to several decades but none has aged a day.</Overview>
<FirstAired>2004-07-11</FirstAired>
<IMDB_ID>tt0389564</IMDB_ID>
<zap2it_id>SH665214</zap2it_id>
<id>73507</id>
</Series>
</Data>

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (tvmetadatafinder@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email tvmetadatafinder@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:56 PM
Hi,

Well no problem here, the URL you provided works fine. I get the exact XML data you mention in your post. So this means my ISP is not in cause then, as I can access the Web service. Then I really don't know why TV Meta Data Finder will not work. Yet it does not :-(
I tried the program on ALL 4 PCs here, same behaviour, same log results.
I disabled firewalls and all resident security software, no change.

Do you have any possible idea ?
I remember I had weird problems like that with VideoBrowser software in the past due to the fact that I have a French installation of Vista Ultimate (event setting language to English  did not help qt the tome, until the developer fixed something (don't ask; I don't know what he did). Do you think there could be such a problem here ?

PierreLo
Coordinator
Jan 20, 2009 at 8:03 PM
This could be.  I'll have to get my hands on the french version of vista.  Is it a whole ISO on french?  Or is it just a language pack?

Once i do this (and to be honest, may be a while), i think I'll get a virtual enviroment, and load it on there to see if that is what could be causing the issue.

I don't know if you are a developer much, or have access to Visual Studio 2008, but if you do, maybe you could run a debugger on it to see exactly where it is failing...

I know that Video Browser access the same web services, and maybe the web services is detecting your language and usnure how to handle it.
Jan 20, 2009 at 8:28 PM
Hi,

Well, I am not much of a developer anymore (used to be years ago...). I don't have access to Visual Studio so I cannot be of much help here.
I think Vista french is language pack on the original Vista installation CD (I'll have to check though).
I suspect there is something with language indeed. As I said before, I and several other non US/English users had problems with VideoBrowser due to non ENglish version of Vista. The guys at VideoBrowser managed to solve this. Maybe as a developer you could get in touch with them on their forums and see what they did.

Thanks for trying to help anyway.
I'll see if I can reinstall an English version of Vista to test (damn, I Hate reinstalling this whole VIsta stufff... ;-)

PierreLo
Coordinator
Jan 20, 2009 at 8:41 PM
PierreLo, I sent an email out to that group to see if anyone recalls what happend, do you have an email you could foward to me?
Jan 20, 2009 at 9:27 PM
Bill,

What do you mean by "an email I could forward to you ?" I don't get you.
What email are you referring to ?

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2009 at 11:46 PM
Who within ithe MediaBrowser group did you get help with?
Coordinator
Jan 21, 2009 at 12:27 AM
PierreLo, can you download this: http://www.codeplex.com/tvmetadatafinder/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=22086
See if it works, I think the only thing anyone did with MediaBrowser was to add a longer timeout in the request of the web service.

Let me know if it works, and if it does, then i will release it as a full.
Jan 21, 2009 at 7:03 AM
There are two main comtacts there :
- Paul777
- Sam Saffron (creator of the software)
Have a look in the forums for these guys.
I don't have any email address but you could always send them a Private message.
Hope this helps.
Otherwise I can PM them and tell them you are trying to contact them.
As you wish
PierreLo
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:46 AM, billsecond <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Who within ithe MediaBrowser group did you get help with?

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (tvmetadatafinder@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email tvmetadatafinder@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2009 at 12:48 PM
PierreLo, can you download this: http://www.codeplex.com/tvmetadatafinder/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=22086
See if it works, I think the only thing anyone did with MediaBrowser was to add a longer timeout in the request of the web service.

Jan 21, 2009 at 1:38 PM
Sounds good.. I will try this home tonight and I will let you know.
Anyway, a big thank you for the efforts, much appreciated :-)
PierreLo

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 2:49 PM, billsecond <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

PierreLo, can you download this: http://www.codeplex.com/tvmetadatafinder/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=22086

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:42 PM
Edited Jan 21, 2009 at 9:28 PM
Well, no :-(

At first, it was nice, used it on the Deadwood folder, it started to find series description, created series.xml file, but then crashed at next step while trying to retrieve banner after a few minutes.
Then on any other series; it just sits there and finally pops up the good old error timeout message: "Either unable to find the web service, or the TV Show... Try again later, or visit thetvdb.com"

One funny thing to notice (maybe it means something to you) is that if I install previous version and copu new exe over old one, then I will have the same error message as before.
Yet, if I directly launch the new exe from a new directory, with no other file in it (no config file I mean), then I get past the series.xml creation and then it crashes after a long long time waiting.

Too bad...I am sure this is not a big big thing to solve but I cannot help that much.

Can you think of something other than timeout period length ?

Thanks

PierreLo
Jan 21, 2009 at 9:43 PM
Hi again,

I did some more tests on another PC here, and maybe the results will help you finding out what happens.
Here is the case :

- The PC I was referring to in all my previous posts is based on an native French Vista Ultimate installation, on which I then changed the Windows interface language to English through control panel. On this PC, I have the behaviour I described above, i.e porogran sits for a long time then says it couldn't find the Wbservice

- Now I tested your latest exe (and the previous one too) on another PC of mine, which also has a native French Vista Ultimate installation, but on which I did not change the language interface, which remains French. On this one, I have a complete different type of error message, as shown below (I cannot attach a picture here, so I translate the error message to English here below). This message pops up immediately when I click Start after I specified a valid Series folder:

<<An unhandled exception occurred in your application. If you click Continue, blabla...

<<Unable to load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0. Culture=Neutral
<<Public Key Token=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies

If I click Continue in the error messqge box, nothing happens of course.

Now I don't know if this means something to you or if it can help. I sure hope so.
The fact is I am for the moment stuck unable to use one of these great metadata retrieval programs and it really sucks :-(

Thanks for your continuing help

PierreLo

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2009 at 9:48 PM
Unable to load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0. Culture=Neutral

This means that you don't have the .net framework 3.5 (and possibly with sp1) installed.

As far as the others, it sounds like the connection is actually timing out... I will try to adjust the timeout soon.  I'll let you know when i do that, but can you try downloading the .net 3.5 with sp1 and retry it?
Jan 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM
Hi Bill,

I did install Net framework 3.5 in the meantime (already am on SP1) and it came back to....normal, which is the regular timeout problem.

I guess I'll have to wait for your "timeout fix" release to check it out.

Thanks for your support

PierreLo
Coordinator
Jan 22, 2009 at 1:40 AM

I will be checking this out pretty soon.

Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:06 PM
To: billsecond@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Error : Cannot find the web service ?? [tvmetadatafinder:44609]

Hi Bill,

I did install Net framework 3.5 in the meantime (already am on SP1) and it came back to....normal, which is the regular timeout problem.

I guess I'll have to wait for your "timeout fix" release to check it out.

Thanks for your support

PierreLo

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Coordinator
Jan 22, 2009 at 1:48 AM

PierreLo, try: http://www.codeplex.com/tvmetadatafinder/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=22143

It is release 1804, it has a huge timeout, and should be good enough.  If this is not it, im not sure what is J..

But we will keep at it.

Bill.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:57 AM
Well, unfortunately this version doesn't help.
Still the same message, except now it takes of course longer before it pops up.
So my best guess would be that the timeout message does not really refer to a time out, but that the request "hangs" somewhere, and loops there until the timeout delay is elapsed. This must be related to the contents of the request itself that is made to the webservice.

Maybe it would be useful for you to know the exact request that goes from my PC to the Webservice ? Do you have any means to provide a "debug" version which would log this so I can send the log to you and you can see what really goes out from a French vista ?

Thanks

PierreLo

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:48 AM, billsecond <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

PierreLo, try: http://www.codeplex.com/tvmetadatafinder/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=22143

It is release 1804, it has a huge timeout, and should be good enough. If this is not it, im not sure what is J..

But we will keep at it.

Bill.

Coordinator
Jan 22, 2009 at 12:35 PM
I think its still timing out, i think your connection to the service may be slow.  I would like to know if anyone else is getting this problem.

The other thing I would suggest you try is to download a free copy of Visual C# .NET 2008 Express (it really is free), and you can compile it and see where it errors out at (what line in what class, etc...).  Maybe you can put break points inside it too.

It would deffinatly help if your able to do something like this, and I can even do a remote control session with you while this happens if you would like.
Jan 22, 2009 at 7:00 PM
OK Bill,

I will be out for a few days, coming back on Monday. I will investigate installing the whole developer stuff and I'll contact you then to see what we can do.

thanks again for your help

PierreLo
Coordinator
Jan 22, 2009 at 11:47 PM
Fixed the issue.  Try it again.
Jan 23, 2009 at 7:52 AM
Aaaargh....
Imagine the torture...I am at work until tonight, then I leave for 2 days, and you just tell me you fixed it....now ;-) ;-) ;-)
I won't be able to test before Monday....Life is cruel :-)

I really want to thank you for the efforts as it seems I was the only one to complain about the problem and you still investigated the matter. I really look forward to using the great piece of software and have all my series ready !

I'll come back to you on Monday to hopefully confirm everything works fine.

Have a nice time until then !

PierreLo
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2009 at 4:00 AM
Check out release 1823: http://www.codeplex.com/tvmetadatafinder/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=22316
Let me know if its all working.

Bill.
Jan 27, 2009 at 4:52 AM
Hi Bill,

I am sorry to say no. It still does not work. I just tested 1823, reinstalled TV Metadata finder properly by removing all tracks of previous versions, but no. Still the same message.
I'll do some more testing tonight.

Bye

PierreLo
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2009 at 1:03 PM
Can you try this release? 
http://www.codeplex.com/tvmetadatafinder/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=22346
Jan 27, 2009 at 1:32 PM
Bill,

I won't say this enough and I really mean it : this is the first time I see a developer trying that hard to solve one single person's problem. Amazing.

I will of course try this release tonight and report back right after.
I would really like to help you (and myself by the way...) to identify the problem, so if there is any specific test I can do, anything I should try to help, any sample file I could send you. just let me know.
I even consider installing the whole Visual Studio stuff if needed, to be able to trace/debug. But I don't really know what I should install in order to do this (it's been more more than 20 years since I wrote "real" software for the last time....and it was Visual C++ at the time)
So if you feel like listing required software/tools I should install and a simple tutorial on how to compile your sources, I'll be more than happy to do some tests.

But hopefully, this latest release will work as a charm and I won't need to do all this ;-) I will know more tonight.

PierreLo

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:23 PM
Hi Bill,

Still a no go. Withe the latest version, here is a sample log of what I get:

>27/01/2009 19:06:31:  Done!
>27/01/2009 19:06:31:  Either unable to find the web service, or the TV Show... Try again later, or visit thetvdb.com
>27/01/2009 19:04:51:  Finding series information for Point Pleasant...
>27/01/2009 19:04:51:  Getting a listing of all files *.avi, *.mkv, *.mp4, *.mpg, *.mpeg, *.divx, *.ogm, and *.wmv in F:\Series\Point Pleasant
>27/01/2009 19:04:51:  Starting Process...
>27/01/2009 19:04:50:  Changed Root Directory To: F:\Series\Point Pleasant
>27/01/2009 19:04:45:  Done!
>27/01/2009 19:04:45:  Getting a listing of all files *.avi, *.mkv, *.mp4, *.mpg, *.mpeg, *.divx, *.ogm, and *.wmv in F:\Series\Police Squad
>27/01/2009 19:04:45:  Starting Process...
>27/01/2009 19:04:45:  Getting a listing of all files *.avi, *.mkv, *.mp4, *.mpg, *.mpeg, *.divx, *.ogm, and *.wmv in F:\Series\Police Squad
>27/01/2009 19:04:43:  Done!
>27/01/2009 19:04:43:  Getting a listing of all files *.avi, *.mkv, *.mp4, *.mpg, *.mpeg, *.divx, *.ogm, and *.wmv in F:\Series\Police Squad
>27/01/2009 19:04:43:  Starting Process...
>27/01/2009 19:04:42:  Changed Root Directory To: F:\Series\Police Squad

You can notice that for the show Police Squad; the software did not do anything? It immediately returned "Done!" without even trying to access thetvdb. No file was created. The folder Police Squad is full of avi episodes, all named correctly. I even tried to create the series.id file with correct id inside but still it will return immediately.
Here is an example of how all my series are stored :

F:\Series
       \Point Pleasant
               \Season 1
                     \Point Pleasant.s01e01.mkv
                     \Point Pleasant.s01e02.mkv

\Police Squad
              \Season 1
                     \Police Squad.s01e01.mkv
                     \Police Squad.s01e02.mkv

\Smallville
              \Season 1
                     \Smallville.s01e01.avi
                     \Smallville.s01e02.avi

For your information, here are the lists of series that at least try to access thetvdb but fail after a while:

- Point Pleasant
- Smallville
- Deadwood
- V

And these ones immediately return without even trying to reach thetvdb

- Fame
- Police Squad

So basically, no progress so far...

PierreLo

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:47 AM
NEWS !

Hi Bill,

Strangely my last message did not appear here...
Anyway, Bill, I have to apologize wasting your time on this issue. I finally remembered that one of the PCs I have home was still running Windows XP. So I installed dotnet 3.5 on it and your sotftware. And guess what ? It works like a charm.
So I assume I must have an issue with my Vista setup on the other PCs I tried. Maybe I installed too many things and it is now quite a mess.
I will have to reinstall clean Vista and see if it gets better.
I feel a bit bad about the time you spent on this as it now turns out the problem was probably on my side from the beginning.
Yet, there is still a slight possibility that my Vista and your software do not go together well. But as no other user seems to have such problems, I would rather bet on a problem in my own config.

In the meantime, I can generate all required series metadata from my Windows XP PC, so I am pretty happy with this workaround solution.

Anyway, thanks for a great piece of software, it really works well and even produced more accurate results than TvScout (which also works now on my XP machine) on some series.

I will still let you know once I have reinstalled clean Vista if I have any similar problem.

Keep up this good work.

PierreLo

Coordinator
Feb 4, 2009 at 2:26 PM
Glad you got it working.