Help with files with no metadata.

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM
A long time ago I used an automated tool to remane a bunch of my files. Problem is it lost all the Metadata inside those files, as well as it remaed the files to showname-(episodename).filetype

Now I'm trying to get the metadata back into the file, but evey utilty I find either needs the metadata already there, or it needs the filename with some sort of episode identifier ie.S1E3 or something, sincemy files have neither this appears to be an insurmountable task.

What I need is for a program that can scrape a TV DB based on the shownme and episode name and then recreate the metadata.  Does anything like this exist or can this program be modified to do this?

Thanks
Randy
Jan 26, 2009 at 3:58 PM
Edited Jan 26, 2009 at 3:59 PM
Hi,
I am not the developer of the program, but a user. In an attempt to help I will try to explain what this program does and a method that may help you achieve your goal.
This program will rename your files based on several default formats or you can specify your own naming convention. This should assist you in renaming the files the way you would like which addresses one of your requests.

The second thing this program does is download the metadata in XML (and soon in .my) format. Most any PVR software can read the XML metadata for display.
Unless you have your own reasons for storing the metadata "inside" the file (I assume using the files tag properties), there really is not any need to. But if you wanted to, after you rename the files using this program, you could then use a tag and rename program to update the tags based on the file name. This is more of a workaround, but would achieve what you are trying to do.

Hope this is helpful.

Th3R00st3r

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2009 at 1:04 PM
I found an issue with the monitoring, i fixed it, it wasnt renaming the files right.  Try it again: http://www.codeplex.com/tvmetadatafinder/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=22346